When I like something, I like with such intensity that I eventually end up not liking it at all. If I find a food I like, I will eat it until I can’t stand the sight of it. If I find a CD that I love listening to, I will listen to it until it is riddled with scratches. If I find an episode of Sex and the City that I find funny, I will watch it until I know it by heart and drive everyone around me completely insane by reciting every. single. word. (Junior year of college. “The Good Fight.” You can ask my former roommates. They will confirm this as fact).
My infatuations may be short lived, but they are intense while they last. That being said, here are a few things I am currently infatuated with:
- Adele. Have you heard this woman sing? The first couple of times I listened to her album the entire way through, I cried. I wish I was kidding, but I’m not. This album is raw talent at its absolute best. Where was she when I was going through every break up in my life?!
- Pinterest. Need inspiration for your new house? Go on Pinterest. Need an outrageously decadent recipe? Go on Pinterest. Need wedding inspiration? Go on Pinterest. Need to waste a few hours (or days) of your life? Go on Pinterest. Want to actually be productive with your day? Stay far, far away from Pinterest. I’m convinced they have this site laced with crack; it’s that addicting.
- This chocolate granola recipe. Yes, I posted it last weekend, and yes, it is that delicious. I did make a few substitutes (Kashi Go Lean for Cheerios, no nuts, raisins instead of cranberries), but the results are still addictively yummy.
- Mr. Yogato. It’s hard to find real, homemade ice cream in my area of Maryland, so sometimes the easiest (and best) substitution is frozen yogurt. Mr. Yogato (in the Fells Point neighborhood of Baltimore) is the best around. They offer a bizarre range of toppings (Captain Crunch?), sprinkles (my favorite!) are free, and there’s an old Nintendo system set up inside the store. It’s like being five again, in the best way possible.
- My new running shoes. A few weeks ago, after experiencing some serious hip and knee pain, I decided to finally get a professional fitting for running shoes. I went to my local running store where they watched me run on a treadmill (fascinating) and measured my foot pressure (equally fascinating). Then they recommended shoes to fit my foot (in my case, Asics Gel GT-2160). Miracle of all miracles, my hip and knee pain is slowly starting to fade! Why did I wait so long to do this?
- Game of Thrones. Who knew I would like a bloody, overtly sexual high fantasy television series? Apparently I do! And now I want to read the books over the summer.
- Watching videos on TED. This is something my grad professor got me into (she posts a ton for us to watch every semester). As much as I have a passion for being a teacher, I have a passion for being a student even more. TED is an easy, accessible, and free way to continue learning about the things you’re interested in. Totally worth a view.
- My Bella Cucina rocket blender. Remember how I mentioned I’ve had a smoothie every day for a week? Yeah, make that two weeks now. I can’t help myself—today’s heat index reached 105*. There’s no way I’m cooking a hot dinner in that kind of heat. This fabulous little machine is a real trooper. I got it at Target a few months ago, and it makes smoothies like a champ!
It seems impossible for me to ever get sick of many of these things (I mean, am I really going to get sick of my Asics? Or frozen yogurt for that matter? Unlikely), but we’ll see how long the others last. For now, they’re doing this body/mind/soul good.
What are you currently infatuated with? Anything I NEED to check out?