You know how I get on food kicks?
Where I become all-consumed by one meal for an extended period of time?
Yeah. This sandwich totally falls into this category. And for good reason!
On Saturday, just as Irene was making her arrival into Maryland, I decided that I wanted something new for lunch. I took all the components of a usual meal for me (fruit or veggie, protein, and carbs) and came up with this beauty:
PB&B Stuffed French Toast Sandwich
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (I used Martin’s whole wheat potato bread. It is phenomenal).
- 1-2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
- 1-2 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
- maple syrup (optional)
1. Spread PB evenly on both slices of bread. Top one slice of bread with bananas and then top with other slice of bread.
2. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Heat a nonstick skilled over medium-high heat. Dip sandwich into egg mixture on both sides. Transfer to skillet and cook on each side until lightly browned (about 2-3 minutes on each side).
4. Top with syrup if desired.
I made this sandwich three times in three days. It was just that good. I kept trying slight variations on it (using Better’n Peanut Butter in place of “regular” PB, adding a spoonful of Trader Joe’s strawberry preserves, topping with Greek yogurt instead of syrup), and it got better every time. Always warm, always flavorful, always extra gooey.
They just banned refrigerators, coffee pots, and microwaves in our classrooms at school, but I wonder if anybody would mind if I bring in a hot plate so I can make this for lunch every day…
What’s your favorite french toast stuffing or topping?
I love me some stuffed french toast—especially with Nutella or peanut butter ; )