(Green) Apple Pie Smoothie & Oatmeal Graham “Crust” Cookies
I never win anything. Ever.
No lotteries, no raffles, no giveaways. I just don’t have the magic touch, or whatever it is you need to win these things.
In fact, the only time I won something was in elementary school. A candy manufacturer came to give a presentation and raffled off a five pound candy bar—milk chocolate with almonds. Out of the entire school, I was randomly chosen as the lucky winner. The downside? I hated almonds. My dad ended up eating the entire thing himself.
So imagine my surprise when I randomly entered a Facebook giveaway for a case of Chobani’s three new flavors and received notification a few days later saying that I was the winner! I guess “surprise” is too positive a word; I was downright suspicious. I would have thought the entire thing was a scam had I not entered the giveaway directly through their official Facebook page. So I sent them my mailing address, and, lo and behold, two weeks later (after a long, exhausting, sixteen-hour day, no less), I came home to find this waiting for me:
Despite the fact that it was 10 pm and I was asleep on my feet, I immediately broke into the apple cinnamon flavor.
And I audibly swooned.
It was like apple pie in a delightful little cup. With some protein to boot. Everything I hoped it would be and then some, essentially.
Over the course of the next few days, I also dug into the passion fruit and blood orange—but my heart belonged to apple cinnamon.
This winter, my smoothie cravings never subsided (blame it on the unseasonably warm weather!), and I decided to get creative with my new favorite flavor. An apple pie smoothie was in order, but it was missing something.
No worries. I got it covered.
(Green) Apple Pie Smoothie
- 1 small frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 1 container (8 oz) apple cinnamon Chobani
- large handful spinach (I promise you can’t taste it!)
- dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
- splash of milk (to get the blender moving!)
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Top with cereal, granola, or Oatmeal Graham “Crust” Cookies (recipe below).
Oatmeal Graham “Crust” Cookies (adapted from The Hungry Mouse)
(makes about 1.5 dozen)
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/4 C. brown sugar
- 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 C. flour
- 1/4 C. rolled oats
- 3/4 C. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Beat butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric stand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix until well combined (do not over mix!)
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough, roll into balls, and place on baking sheet. Gently press balls with the back of a fork until slightly flattened.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until edges start to brown.
It may have taken me twenty years to actually win something I wanted, but I’d say it was worth the wait.
Next up: Powerball jackpot?!